Thursday, May 10, 2012

May 10, 2012

Well bust my buttons my parents came to Finland!

I know, I could hardly believe it myself. If you know my parents, and I'm sure some of you do, you know it was darn close to a miracle they came. It meant the whole wide world to me that they came here, and, in my opinion, we had the most memorable and meaningful time together.

And, as my job, I am here to tell you ALL about it! Of course, I'm sure they have many stories to tell, but not pictures. I stole them all from my mother's camera so she could have more memory room.

Anyways, they arrived here the 26th of April. Such a nice time in Finland. Beautiful crocus flowers are in full bloom and the grass is finally greening up! But, according to my parents we are "at least" two weeks behind Michigan's weather "schedule". Thus, my parents noted it to be a tad chilly and not so green. But, for me it was if they brought Spring with them and all the fresh air and sunshine to go with it!

Therefore, upon arrival, we had a very delicious dinner and off to bed they were sent! Traveling, 4,500+ miles is no easy task. Especially for a couple who have NEVER been out of the U.S. Well I lied, we did go to Canada once, but that doesn't really count does it?

So, off to bed they went and woke up the next morning to a wonderful Finnish breakfast of rye bread, yogurt, and fruit! This may come as a shocker, at least it was for me, but my dear father didn't enjoy the rye bread as much as I thought he would. I was thoroughly disappointed. They have been telling me all my exchange year to learn how to make AUTHENTIC rye bread, and once here neither one of them ate it! Looks like I'll be the only rye bread eater in the house, good, more for me!

So, after breakfast we spend the day touring my host brothers' middle school and walking around Lake Leittoinen. Later that evening we headed  to a delicious Italian restaurant called Dennis. There they met my very best Finnish friend, Emma. It was a wonderful time together and they enjoyed my dear Emma very much.

Haha welcome to Finland Mommy and Daddy!

After dinner we came back home, ate some ice cream, and started a movie together. But that didn't last long since my host parents came home and brought their two daughters to visit. So instead of the movie we toasted my parents vacation/visit with some champagne and strawberries!

The next day brought on an absolutely picture perfect spring day spent at my second host familiy's summer cottage. There we spent the day on the island, eating delicious food, and trying to get my mother to swim after sauna!

 Headed out, by boat, to the most picturesque summer cottage there every was! And the most gracious hosts (and host parents) to go with it!

Didn't even get up the steps to the cottage and they were already completely engrossed in conversation!

 All smiles! That's what I like to see! Toasting away to the beautiful day, good food, and new friends!

 Aww thank you Ostela family! And thanks for the delicious food! I really can't get enough of this food here in Finland!


After a nice toast and a nice lunch/snack, we headed out to look over the Archiepelago from the rocks.

Picture does no justice... Come see for yourself!

After oo-ing and ahh-ing over the view, we headed back to sauna all the jetlag away! I was very proud of my dad, for he swam in the Archiepelago after sauna. But, I cannot say the same for my mother. She only stuck her toe in. That clearly doesn't count, but I guess since not all Finns have even done it themselves, I will excuse her. Mother, you are excused. 



 Host mom Eija preparing the most delicious summer cottage food this whole wide world has ever seen! Homemade mushroom soup, ratatouille, baked potatoes, and lamb! Oh, the lamb is to die for. Literally.  And there are a couple very surprising and interesting secret ingredients that, if I told you, I would have to kill you. If you ask me kindly I would LOVE to make this dish for you some day. Believe me, it will knock your socks off.
All smiles!

Goodbye Ostela family and your wonderful summer cottage! We have made many a fond memory there and throughout my stay with you. You have truly been a blessing of a host family and I already dream of the day when I will be back with you again.

Whip that snot from your nose I aint leavin' yet! Well, not for another 23 days, but that's beside the point.

So, to continue, I woke up the next morning to listen to my parents tell my they had just had the best sleep yet here in Finland. And I of course credited it to the sauna. It works miracles I tell you. (I will be building one when I get home just you wait and see.) And with such a restful sleep, one can only expect to spend the day at ANOTHER summer cottage! Where the day is spent enjoying sunshine, friends, food, and more sauna!

Like I mentioned earlier, bread, yogurt, and berries for breakfast!

And on our way to my third host family's summer cottage, we stopped by this 800 year old (or something) church.



It was beautiful inside, and just perfect for a wedding ceremony or something. Which my host sister realized as well since she and her husband were married here!
On our way to the cottage! Big smiles from both my mothers!

And likewise for both fathers!


Here is my third host family's summer cottage. Situated just center of a small island in the Archiepelago.
And inside it boasts a giant, old fashioned oven and all the cute furnishings to go with it!

 Looks like something from a magazine, I know...
And for lunch, Finnish lasagna with fresh salad.  

And after lunch, and a quick tour of their island, sauna!

Doesn't look very inviting, I know. But it was just as relaxing and peaceful as always.

After sauna, mother listened to my host sister Stiina's husband talk about bread, while watching my host mom make pulla. I hope you payed attention Mom there will be a quiz!


 Once the pulla was made, we all sat around and enjoyed its yummy, soft, cardamomness with a strong cup'a Joe to wash it down.
The rest of the evening was spent talking over our delicious pulla and coffee. It was wonderful to see all my host families and real parents get along so well. They have all made some new friends and I don't doubt one or the other visiting soon.

We went to bed that evening and woke again very restful, all due to the sauna of course, and pulla. Which I forgot to mention was the best pulla I have had yet here in Finland. And I have had many a pulla during my stay. If you would like the recipe feel free to message me, or, if your tech-savvy, google the recipe!

As luck would have it, my parents decided to visit me just days before one of Finland's most celebrated holidays occurs. This holiday is, in English, Labor Day. Funny how Finland spends TWO DAYS celebrating this holiday and we can hardly spend one. At least in my family it's always been a nice day off from school! But here in Finland its much more than that. It's students dressed in specifically colored trousers romping around with champagne bottles, its almost all of Finland's citizens dressed up nice and fancy and sporting their white (sailor) graduation caps, its the day spent drinking and eating good food with family and friends, and its enjoying how far they've come, since high school, to get into the position they are in today. 

The official Labor Day in Finland is May 1st. But here, the day before, April 30th, is spent listening to music/speeches and drinking and eating with friends and family. The next day, official Vappu day, is spent, again, listening to music in one of Turku's parks, and sitting down to picnic to enjoy the traditional Vappu food.

Luckly for my parents, they were here to experience it all! I'm sure they have much to tell you about it if you have any questions!

Vappu! Here you see all the white graduation caps worn by the Finns to celebrate their high school graduation and their current occupations and professions.

Hauska Vappua! Happy Labor Day!

Almost looks like a wave of snow. 

And here are the students dressed in different colored trousers. Each specific color represents a different field of occupation.

View from the main speech area, in front of the art museum looking out and through the street. Nothing but people in their white graduation caps. I have never seen so many people out and about in Turku in all my time here.

Then it was time to celebrate "pre-Labor Day" with a nice dinner and friends.

 And here you see a wonderful dessert selection of Vappu crispy doughnuts and my host mom's meringue and berry cake. Delicious!
We spent the eveing, and part of the morning (till around 2:30a.m.) eating, talking, and singing. All the while making new friends and memories to keep for a lifetime. And, as luck would have it again, one of the guests in attendance was a Finnish doctor who had once, long ago, spent one exchange year abroad in Grand Haven, Michigan.

And to toast the start of Vappu, we drank a very traditional Vappu drink called Sima. If you have the time Google the recipe, it really is something different, but delicious none the less. In fact my mom is planing on making it this summer in replace of lemonade. I can't wait!

To be continued...

I have to go pack, I leave for Poland tomorrow!









2 comments:

  1. Great post! I really enjoy your blog as it reminds me very fondly of my exchange to Finland back in 1990. Keep posting. You'll look back on this with a warm heart.

    ReplyDelete