Monday, November 14, 2011

November 14, 2011

B00!

Well, well, well it's me! I'm still alive for those who were worried. Very much alive and plump as things have it. The last two weekends in October were spent hosting dinner parties with my host parents. Mmm, delicious. Needless to say I have been spending extra time at the gym making sure I don't have to purchase anymore ridiculously expensive pants to meet my ever-growing jeans size. Luckily for me, this past weekend was spent in a north-eastern college town called Tampere, babysitting two little rugrats. I slept like a baby both nights we were there. It's amazing how much energy little children have, and how little I have!

                             Playing "Angry Birds" on an Ipad with little Mikael (2 years).
                                       Feeding Mikael's never ending stomach.
                                 Showing Maria (7) how to play a game on my phone.
Reading a book while the rugrats watch Mumi on the Ipad.

When we were not babysitting the kids we snuck out to go tour Tampere. First we went to Tampere's old Pyynikki tower. It's an old observation tower 85 m above sea level which gives one a beautiful view of the city below. Connected to this tower is also a cafe which boasts the best doughnuts in Finland, also called munkki. Can you see why exchange students gain weight? Constantly tempted by famous regional dishesnoone in their right mind can resist!
Munkki!
My munkki and hot chocolate. NOM NOM NOM!
                                                              Pyynikki tower and cafe.
                                                             View from the tippidy-top!
                                                                   Host mom and I.
                                                      Tampere from 85 m above sea level!
Road to Pyynikki tower.

I bet you want one of those doughnuts now don't you? Well since you can't I'll just inform you that they were delicious! Maybe I will find the recipe so I can make them when I get home. Can't be that hard can they? Anyways, after stuffing our stomachs with not-so-healthy food, we drove to the Sarkanniemi Dolphinarium and watched a dolphin show! I never knew how intelligent dolphins are it was pretty neat.

                                                                             Delfinni!
                                                                       Dolphin arena.
                                                                      Jumping dolphin!
                                                                Dolphins eating fishies!
                                                          Ooooooo! Up close and personal.
                                                Isn't that just the cutest thing you've ever seen?!
Mmmm look at the excitement on my face. Pure dolphin joy!

We stayed in this amusement park for another hour. Half an hour in a planetarium learning how black holes are formed and all the ins and outs of their mysterious existence, and the other half on top of the tallest observation tower in the Nordic countries. This tower, also called Nasinnuela, was built in thirty-three days reaching its end at 130 m. The view was breathtaking, however, it would have been nicer if it wasn't so foggy.
                                                            Picture of tower from road.
                                                                 Tampere at 130 m.
                                                             I spy with my little eye....fog!
                                                         Convenient cafe inside the tower.
Drinking a cappuccino and enjoying the view.

Tah dah! Thus ends my weekend in Tampere. Sunday was spent in celebration as it was father's day. A good dinner of Thai food and a nice hot chocolate at a cafe was how my host father wanted to celebrate. Now I am looking forward to next weekend which will be spent in Laitila at the Rotary District 1410 camp. I will not be slacking on blog posts in the near future so look forward to posts on camping, Thanksgiving in Finland, and a nice blog on my daily routine here in Finland. Hope all is well. I hear snow has visited Michigan already. Surprisingly its still in the high 40's here. I hope it comes soon I'm quite tired of rain and wind. Good luck to all hunters tomorrow, keep warm!

Love and miss you all!

Karlee

No comments:

Post a Comment